Thursday 5 April 2018

Does a child's toothbrush work?

I just got back from vacation and we decided to get some nice travel toothbrushes.  But what really happened was we ended up getting child toothbrushes for the entire family.  Is that really bad or were we going to be just fine? Now I did notice that mask-wearing was not super fun on vacation.  I really started to notice that my breath was not what I wanted to be smelling all day long behind a mask. This led me down to the toothbrush aisle and then things started to get really complicated.  The number of toothbrushes I saw was absolutely crazy.  I saw at least 30 different ones and I didn't understand which one to really go after. So I ended up going home without one and decided to do some research. So let me dive into my journey.



But was my toothbrush going to work or not? I was not entirely sure, so I had to find out.  Well, I first started by hopping online.  There are so many company websites that have their own opinion and they are usually backed by the ADA or at least mention them or their own dentist they have paid for the advertisement.  The majority of people will say to use a soft toothbrush that is simply comfortable in your hand.  But that idea of the perfect toothbrush was really different from one website to another.  They all had some strange bristle or pattern that they claimed was 10 times better than the leading brush.  Well when the majority of websites claimed this, it became a huge farce to me.  There is no way 10 leaders are 10 times better than each other. Truly I was not convinced, so I wanted more information.



Social media was a giant ad essentially. Everyone was saying they had the best and well when you see that so many times it loses its potency.  It sounded like the best way to describe the majority of videos is to simply get a medium to a soft-bristled toothbrush that feels good in your hand.  Their talk was more about people are more likely to brush their teeth for the full two minutes if they feel happy and that matters more than anything else.  It is the ability to get you to keep brushing that matters more than a type of bristle or a handle.  Even the dentists talked about not making a difference if you are using an automatic brush or not.  They simply said it's the doing the task that matters more and that the talk of those electric toothbrushes is talking about stats that simply don't matter.  The dentists didn't see the difference in what they are doing unless the individual was unable to brush like normal due to a disability.  So it really strikes home that for the most part these all work and after talking with some dental students most all the differences are not science, but technological farces.  It hurts to see so many lies in the real world of health. Maybe that is why most people don't like dentists.


Just get a brush that you like and remember to use it.  That is the key to all dental health is doing something. Otherwise, you may be in trouble in the long run. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Healthy Candy for your kids and their teeth

You’ll love these healthy Easter treats as much as your kids!  Yes, we’re still advocating for candy because no kid needs to be denied the l...